For general background information on nitric oxide and its clinical uses, the viewer is referred to the following books and recent review articles:
CAUTION: This information may concern a use that has not been approved or cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Bench-to-bedside review: Inhaled nitric oxide therapy in adults, Creagh-Brown BC, Griffiths MJ, Evans TW, Crit. Care. 2009;13(3):221.
- Nitric oxide mechanism of protection in ischemia and reperfusion injury, Phillips L, Toledo AH, Lopez-Neblina F, Anaya-Prado R, Toledo-Pereyra LH., J Invest Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;22(1):46-55.
- Role of iNO in the modulation of pulmonary vascular resistance, Bin-Nun A, Schreiber MD. J Perinatol. 2008 Dec;28 Suppl 3:S84-92.
- Inhaled nitric oxide therapy, Okamoto K, Kitamura M, Kikuchi T, Mochizuki K, Nituta K, Nippon Rinsho. 2008 Nov; 66(11):2169-73.Review. Japanese. PMID.
- Long-term inhaled nitric oxide plus phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitors for severe pulmonary hypertension, Perez-Penate GM, Julia-Serida G, Ojeda-Betancort N, Garcia-Quintana, A, Pulido-Duque J, Rodriguez-Perez A, Cabera-Navarro P, Gomez-Sanchez MA, J Heart Lung Transplant 2008; 27(12):1326-1332.
- Inhaled nitric oxide for acute chest syndrome in people with sickle cell disease, Al Hajeri A, Serjeant GR, Fedorowicz Z: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Jan 23;(1):CD006957.
- The role of nitric oxide in the pathophysiology of intimal hyperplasia, Ahanchi SS, Tsihlis ND, Kibbe MR, J Vasc Surg. 2007 Jun; 45 Suppl A:A64-73.Review.
- Inhaled NO as a therapeutic agent, Bloch KD, Ichinose F, Roberts JD Jr, Zapol WM; Cardiovasc Res.2007 Jul 15;75(2):339-48. Epub 2007 May 4.
- Responsiveness to inhaled nitric oxide is a predictor for mid-term survival in adult patients with congenital heart defects and pulmonary arterial hypertension, Post MC, Janssens, S, Van de Werf F, Budts W, Eur Heart J 2004;25:1651-1656.
- Controlled prospective randomised trial on the effects on pulmonary haemodynamics of the ambulatory long term use of nitric oxide and oxygen in patients with severe COPD, Vonbank K, Ziesche R, Higgenbottam TW, Steibellehner L, Petkov V, Schneck P, Germann P, Block LH, Thorax 2003;58:289-293.
- Use of nitric oxide inhalation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Ashutosh K, Phadke K, Jackson JF, Steele D, Thorax 2000;55:109-113.
- Nitric Oxide Biology and Pathobiology (2000), Editor Louis J Ignarro, Academic Press.
- Nitric Oxide and the Regulation of the Peripheral Circulation (2000), Editor Philip J Kadowitz and Dennis B. McNamara, Brikhauser Press.
- The effect of low-dose inhalation of nitric oxide in patients with pulmonary fibrosis, Yoshida M, Taguchi O, Gabazza EC, Yasui H, Kobayashi T, Kobayashi H, Maruyama K, Adachi Y, Eur Respir J 1997;10:2051-2054.
- Pulsed delivery of inhaled nitric oxide to patients with primary pulmonary hypertension, Channick RN, Johnson FW, Willians PJ, Auger WR, Fedullo PF, Moser KM Newhart JW, Chest 1996;109:1545-1549.